Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The David.

Ciao!
I thought I'd mix it up a little a post something thats not a mile long, ha.
I don't have a whole lot to say. Things get pretty routine here in Florence, but routine in Florence is way more exciting than the word "routine" implies.
Class is going really well. Its long (2 and a half hours) but I do feel like I've learned a lot already and I cant wait to really get started. I decided that the component that Im going to use to unite all of my projects in that class is vintage. Vintage editing, vintage subject matter, vintage everything. I chose this because A. I love antique/vintage things to begin with. They always catch my eye. but also because I think the beauty of Florence is that its old, and much of it has not been restored, but the old run down and almost forgotten look of it all is my favorite part. Cant wait to see what all I find.
After class today two of my roommates and I went to the Accadamia. We got passes that cost 40 euros that get you free entrance into all the state museums and several others, and also discounts for some musical and cultural events, but the deal sealer was that you get to skip all the lines for the museums. The thought of waiting outside for 3 hours in this unbearable heat to get into an art museum made me want to skip them altogether, and we cant have that. So, like I said, we went to the Accadamia. I was excited to go, but even though I am an art major, I sometimes have a hard time getting SUPER interested in ancient, famous art. But even so, I could NOT leave Italy without seeing Michelangelo's David. Well, my inner artist came out today. As I was standing there looking up at this incredible sculpture, I literally got chills. Its incredible to me to think that this intricate sculpture was once a gigantic rectangle of rock. He has muscles, he has veins, he has wrinkles. It's amazing. Last semester I had to do a tiny handheld sculpture for my 3D class. I could not imagine doing something that large, much less doing it centuries ago with less sophisticated tools. You're not supposed to take pictures but here's one I snuck with my iPhone... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment